Thursday, March 5, 2009

Many voices into one song


As my plane hovered above Albuquerque, New Mexico just before landing, I could not help but draw a comparison to flying in Canada’s Arctic region. While both very different geographic landscapes of sand versus tundra, the feeling of isolation in midst of a large desert was very reminiscent to my days of living up North.

Today I landed on the traditional territories of Albuquerque’s sovereign nations to attend the 3rd International Meeting on Indigenous Child Health: Many Voices Into One Song March 6-8. Approximately 300 child health providers and researchers who work with indigenous children and families have gathered to take part in professional development and meet colleagues in a similar field.

During the conference, I will be promoting the National Aboriginal Health Organization’s resources and publications. I will also be the moderator for a Tradition Healer Panel and a session on Healthy Communities, and lead a roundtable discussion on Adolescent Health.

No comments:

Post a Comment