Friday, July 10, 2009

14th International Congress on Circumpolar Health

Time flies when you are having fun. Unfortunately, time doesn’t always fly when you are flying, and I could not arrive in Yellowknife soon enough.

I was very lucky and grateful to get the chance to travel to Yellowknife, Northwest Territories for the 11th International Congress on Circumpolar Health (ICCH), just over a year after having moved from there to Ottawa.

Before starting with NAHO, I lived in Yellowknife for two years where I worked as sports editor for three newspapers including Yellowknifer, News North and News North Nunavut.

Yes, it felt like I was coming home when I walked down the steps of the plane and into the airport where a friend and ex-colleague waited to greet me beside a display of a polar bear hunting a seal.

I could not go to the hotel without first paying a quick visit to the newsroom to say hello to old friends and visit my old desk that was once lined with coffee cups and piles of sports results, media releases, old newspapers, and notepads.

Fully immersed in a state of nostalgia, it was difficult to wind down from the excitement of being back in the city that played a big part in advancing my post-university career as well as in my journey to find myself in my early twenties. However, I could only fight the tiredness of a long flight so long before it was time to check into the hotel, eat and get to bed.

Luckily, there will be some time to show my colleagues around town tomorrow before heading over to ICCH to set up the NAHO booth.

No comments:

Post a Comment